Saturday, 30 January 2016

Brand Chat: Sunday Riley

In all honesty, Sunday Riley wasn't a brand I had heard of until last year. The magical-looking blue face oil burst on to the Instagrams and blogs of people everywhere and after multiple posts assuring me that it wouldn't stain your skin blue I ventured into Mecca.

These products aren't cheap. I started with a sample of each before committing to forking-out for the full size but after months of regular use I can still say that I love them as much now as the day I got them, so they're worth the splurge in my opinion.

Sunday Riley Range, Artemis, Luna, Good Genes, Ceramic Slip Cleanser

Luna Sleeping Night Oil:
This oil is incredibly dark in blue colouring, a trait that stems from the inclusion of the Blue Tansy flower in the formulation. First and foremost this is a night-time, retinol treatment for your skin. Retinols (a type of vitamin A that are often beneficial for the skin) come in a multitude of different types but the one used here is Trans-Retinol Ester. This type of Retinol tends to be gentler on the skin than other types while still achieving the same results. It helps to minimise the depth of lines and wrinkles on the skin surface and to help correct the impact of environmental factors such as sun and stress.

It also contain lots of ingredients that work to calm irritation and inflammation while plumping fine lines such as German Camomile, Avocado Seed Oil, Chia Seed Oil and Cape Camomile. When I use this I tend to apply about four drops over my whole face (on top of Good Genes) and massage in thoroughly until it feels absorbed into my skin and any hint of a blue tinge is gone. 

As much as I like using this oil I can't use it everyday; if I use it consecutively for two or more days I tend to break out around my chin. However using it twice a week or using less drops more often gives me a glowing complexion and plumps the skin to give a more youthful and rested appearance. NOTE: Not appropriate for use whilst pregnant.

Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Night Oil

Good Genes:
This is my favourite Sunday Riley product. I use this pretty much everyday and can really tell the difference if I skip a night. This is a Lactic Acid product, so it works to exfoliate dead skin cells and refine the skin which inturn brightens and smooths your complexion. Lactic Acid also helps allow anything you put on top of it to penetrate the skin deeper, which means you will see stronger results from whatever you layer on top.

I apply about a pump of this all over my face and down my neck and it makes my skin feel softer and look more radiant. My makeup also goes on much nicer in the morning after I have used this the night before. Other ingredients include Lemongrass, Liquorice and Anrica, all of which boost circulation and increase radiance but the Arnica also acts to reduce any sting you might feel from the Lactic Acid.

Although it is an acid and it aims to remove dead skin cells I have always found this to feel hydrating on the skin but I do always follow with either an oil or a moisturiser (or a mix of both) over the top.

Sunday Riley Good Genes and Ceramic Slip Cleanser

Ceramic Slip Clay Cleanser:
This cleanser is heaven in a bottle for me. I use this as a second cleanse and it leaves my skin feeling clean but nourished. It contains essential oils which act to tone and balance the skin but the inclusion of French Green Clay is what makes this cleanser so great in my opinion, it feels as though it removes all the impurities from your skin without taking away any of the good stuff you need like moisture.

Other ingredients include Vitamin C, Neroli Essential Oils, Black Pepper Essential Oils, Jasmine Essential Oils, Frankincense Essential Oils and Sandalwood Essential Oils. Between the purifying clay and nourishing oils you are on to a winner, but in all seriousness, I find the scent of this absolutely intoxifying. I know scents are very individual but the fragrance of this cleanser calms me like nothing else and just adds something really special to my skincare regime when used.  

Artemis Face Oil:
Now I must confess, I haven't personally ever used this. But I decided to include it because I have seen the transformational effect it had on my sister's oily and break-out prone skin so I thought it may be good to read about.

It has two key medicinal, native Australian plants (Lemon Ironbark and Lemon Myrtle) that work as anti-bacterial agents on the skin. This oil is fast absorbing which is vital for someone with an oily skin type and the citrus botanicals work so well due to their purifying and cleansing properties. Other ingredients include Pink Grapefruit Essential Oils, Pomegranate Seed Oil, Black Cumin Seed Oil and Flaxseed Oil.

Using this oil immediately after cleansing reduced the number of break-outs my sister was experiencing and minimised the visible oiliness on her skin throughout the day. Don't be afraid of oils just because you have oily skin, they can work wonders!

Sunday Riley Artemis Face Oil

I have heard this brand described as a company that uses botanical ingredients to provide clinical results. I'm not a chemist so I'll take their word for that but what I have noticed with all the products is that they don't smell like typical commercial skincare ranges. They have strong scent profiles individual to the different products that result from the ingredients inside. I have also noticed that these products make a difference to my skin immediately. The morning after I used Luna and Good Genes for the first time I woke up with dramatically plumper and fresher feeling skin, my face looked like I had an amazingly night's rest.

These products are not in everyone's price range and I completely understand that, I didn't go out and buy all these in one day, they were accumulated over several pay days. Having said that, another great thing about these products is that you will see results immediately, you will see the benefit the next day which is unusual for skincare really. If you are looking for some new additions to your skincare regime or you have some on-going skin concerns I suggest popping in to a Mecca Store and grabbing some samples and giving these products a go for yourself, they have definitely made a huge difference to my (and my sister's) skin and I honestly can't imagine what I would do without them. 

Also, here is an interview of Sunday Riley by Sam and Nic from Pixiwoo. Sunday goes into a lot of depth about the creation of the products and explains skin behaviour in a really simplified way, if you are interested in upping your skin knowledge give it a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment